Monday, August 12, 2013 (Eagle River Campground, Chugach State Park, Anchorage, Alaska)

With the great Verizon MiFi signal here, I was busy working on our travel blog this morning...I have a lot of catching up to do!  So I was in my chair with laptop and coffee for a couple of hours before it was time to get on with our day.

We had a bunch of things to do in Anchorage today...and, as usual, it was late morning by the time we were out of here and driving the short distance to town.  Our first stop was to fill up with diesel.  Last Thursday when we left Homer enroute to Summit Lake, we had stopped in Soldotna for fuel.  Well, at $4.60/gallon, we decided to only put $150 in...enough to get us off the Kenai Peninsula, closer to Anchorage where we knew it was much cheaper.  So today, we were "on fumes" as we pulled into a Carrs/Safeway station where it was $4.12/gallon.  It took just over 86 gallons...so with a 100 gallon tank, we were pretty empty!

I picked up a few groceries in Safeway while Steve went into the mall to see if he could find a place to get his hair cut.  It wasn't long before he found me in Safeway...no luck.  The next thing on our agenda was propane.  We had received directions from the fellow at Carrs and found the station with no problems.

On the way home we stopped at a new shopping complex we saw along the highway.  Steve managed to get a hair cut while I went into Target just to see if they might, by chance, have a battery for my watch...no luck.  We'll have to try Sears tomorrow.

Once we got home we decided to get out for a walk.  After checking the maps at the park entrance, it looked like there was a bit of hike along the river...so we headed off to find the trailhead.  The Eagle River is raging through this section...


Lots of tree roots popping through on the trail...


This little fellow couldn't care less that we were watching him...

We were invited over to the campfire at Rob and Joyce's site.  From left to right...me, Joyce Cec, Sue, Alan, Bob and Rob...

Now how is this for a bottle of wine?  I've never seen a bottle so big!

Everyone was giving Alan a bad time about never getting rid of old runners...well, since he just bought a new pair, he decided to cremate his old ones.  And the ceremony began....a little wine to toast his old runners...


We sat enjoying the great company around the fire, had a few drinks and then at about 8:00 decided we should go home for dinner.  After a bite to eat, I continued working on our blog...I have to take advantage of the internet while I have it!


No comments:

Post a Comment