Sunday, August 5, 2012 (Lac le Jeune Provincial Park, Kamloops, BC)

Today is supposed to be another hot one...a beautiful stretch of summer weather!  I headed out for my morning power walk at around 8:30.  I had no problem with my hip today...thank goodness...and I was also pleased that the “My Tracks” app on my cell phone finally gave an accurate reading—3 miles (4.8 kms) in 39 minutes.  Previously it had been saying very odd distances...like 16 miles (don’t think so).  Here is a picture of just one of the hills on my route (the picture may not look that steep, but believe me it is quite a hike up)...



After showers, breakfast and dishes we were ready to get on with our day...what shall we do?  It’s forecast to be the hottest day of the summer...and what do we decide to do?...go for a hike around the lake!  We really didn’t think that we would make it all the way around...no distance is indicated on the map but it says it is about a 3 hour brisk walk...but we figured we would start and see what the trail was like.

We headed off just before 11:00 going to the boat launch area where the map and trailhead are. The route starts off going along a gravel lakefront road...access to some cottages/homes.  There is a combination of old cabins along with some newer homes...



This is Steve's favourite...although he isn't keen on the bright orange roof...

The road took us to Lac le Jeune Resort, the area where we had ridden our bikes to the other day.  After crossing the bridge, we carried on up the hill and took the first road to the left...we were looking for the trail.  At the end of the road, we found it...Steve took a picture of the map (there are no handout pamplets and it's kinda nice to have something for reference when hiking...we should have taken one before we left the park)...the orange star is the "you are here" mark...


Now we are on the trail...

Steve said "give me the camera...I want to take a picture of you walking across this water...or falling into this water"...haha!  I made it...

Picture from across the lake where we had walked...see the orange roof?...

...and the Provincial Park...

A tree down across the trail made a great resting place...


We had been hiking for an hour and when we came across a spot that was very muddy, boggy and wet.  It was at this point we figured we would turn around...it was a very hot day (trust us to pick one of the hottest days to go hiking) and we hadn't really thought that we would make it all the way around.  The black "X" on the map above is where we turned around.

Here we are back at the bridge by Lac le Jeune Resort...

The main lodge and some cabins are on one side...


...and a recreation area with more cabins on the other...


Back down the gravel road...man, was it hot!  It wasn't the hottest day that we have experienced...that was in 3 Valley Gap when the temp was over 36C/97F...


Exactly 2 hours later we arrived back at the trailer...my GPS said that we had walked 6.36 miles (a little over 10 kms).  Just before we reached the trailer, we stopped to fill up my water bottle...Steve also gave his face a good splash of cold water and I decided to stick my head right under the tap! That was refreshing!

I made myself another smoothie for lunch...I like my new blender...this one was frozen blueberries, protein powder, yogurt...and spinach (yes fresh spinach!).  I think my favourite so far is frozen banana, peanut butter, protein powder and spinach (yum)...along as you don't mind drinking something that is green...too funny!

We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing in the shade reading.  We ate dinner outside again...inside the trailer was very warm...


It was one of those warm summer nights where the "house" just wouldn't cool down.  We ended up going to bed with all windows and the door open.  Steve got up later to close them once it had cooled a bit...and between that and getting up (somewhere around 2:30 am) to change over the propane tank...how come the propane always runs out in the middle of the night??


No comments:

Post a Comment