Monday, February 21, 2011 (Caverns of Sonora, Texas)

Today is going to be a momentous day for me...I am going to into some caves! A little history of me and caves...coming up to 24 years ago this summer, we were travelling down the Oregon coast with our good friends, Nancy and Rob (and their 3 kids). We decided to visit the Oregon Caves. After putting Christopher and Kimberly into the onsite daycare (they were only 2 years old at the time and too young to go into the caves), the rest of us all went to await our tour of the caves. Steve, Rob(bie) and I were at the front of the line, followed by Rob, Nancy, Aaron and Jonathon...and the rest of the tour-goers. As the tour started, you have to bend down to go through a narrow opening...well, as I started to enter something took over my body...there was no way in hell I was going in there!! I’m not sure what I said as I was leaving but I darted like a bat outta hell pushing through all of the folks behind me!! Hmmmm....guess I really am claustrophobic! So, I have never been inside a cave since...I’ve gone inside wide open entrances where I could still see daylight, but that’s it. So let’s see how I do today...hopefully, that mysterious “something” doesn’t take over my body again!

We walked up to the office/gift shop and bought our tickets...our tour would begin at 11:40. We decided to take a walk around the tenting area...there are a bunch of noisy guinea birds, a wild turkey and a couple of pheasant wandering around the property....not to mention all the deer.

Guinea bird...

Back at the office, we waited for the tour to begin. After waiting for a few stragglers, we followed the guide to the entrance of the caverns. The guide gave us some do’s and don’ts...mainly do not touch anything other than the handrail as it is a “living” cave and the oils from your hands would kill the formations. The caverns are warm...a constant 72 to 76 degrees with 98% humidity (here comes the ‘fro look!)

Here we go...

I was absolutely fine as we went down...and down...all the way to 150 feet below the surface! It was truly amazing! I have never seen anything like it....the formations are just remarkable!
The water looks inches deep but it is really 4 feet deep...
 
 
And up we go...out of the caverns...

We finished the tour just before 1:30 and headed back to the trailer. We spent the rest of the day relaxing in the sunshine. It is so nice to lie back in the lounge chair and feel the sun on your skin....ahhh.

1 comment:

  1. Afternoon folks . . .happened across your blog from a link somewhere; my wife and I are getting ready to retire and hit the road. I went back to the start of the blog in 2010 and didn't see a post with the typical "who we are, why we're doing this, what we did before, and what we drive/live in" . . .is there one like that or is the info just scattered through the other posts. Like the truck . . .looks like a good way to haul toys. Did either of you drive heavy trucks in a previous life or did you just learn when you went on the road? We're in the research phase and although a used HDT is probably cheaper than a new or even used F450 . . .with no experience driving that large a truck I'm not sure it's something we want to tackle.

    ReplyDelete